Thursday, August 17, 2006

Green Backed Heron (Juvenile)

I took this image on or about August 10th, 2006. It was in an area I normally check for wildlife. At first I missed seeing it, since it was standing perfectly still. But the scene looked odd to me, so I double checked it and thats when I saw it. I took two shots with my camera (one turned out blurry.)


I had no idea what this species was. I have a Birds of Iowa field guide, but the Green Backed Heron isn't in there. They apparently breed in Iowa, but are not year long residents. I am probably going to have to find a better bird book, I used to have a copy Roger Tory Petersons Guide to Eastern United States. That book was great and I may have to purchase another copy. Thanks to Dennis Hill for knowing who to ask in making the id.

No comments: