Monday, December 18, 2006

Game of the Week

or Know Thy Opening

Game was played on FICS 12.18.2006. My opponent had a rating of 1401, and as usual I fear such a rating. So I went in somewhat anxious.

1.e4

Ok, this will be a tatical game. Against e4, I try to go into the dragon.

1. ... c5
2.Nf3 Nc6
3.d4 cxd4
4.Nxd4 g6
5.Be3 Bg7
6.Nc3 Nf6

Everything is book so far or main line.




7. f3
Ok, this is what is refered to as the Weekend variation. I don't believe it is that good.



7. ... 0-0 8.Qd2

He is playing the sub variation where he connects his Queen to his dark bishop and then tries to exchange the dark bishops. Good for him if I allow it. The book response is d5.

8. ... d5

That is as far as I remember book in this line, so the rest I have to play using my own tactical and strategic skills. I do recall that White needs to exchange the Knight on d4 for mine on c6 or bad things start to happen.


9.exd5 Nxd5
10.Nxd5 Qxd5
11.c3 Nxd4
12.Bxd4 Rd8


Increases the pressure on the center making whites position somewhat uncomfortable.Notice if he exchanges dark squared Bishops now, I mate him.

13.0-0-0 Qxa2

Not a paticularly good move on his part, since it drops the a2 pawn. Now his King is looking helpless and my pieces are looking strong.

14.Qe3 Bf5
15.Bd3 Bxd3
16.Bxg7

He can't do that! At least he can't do that and live to tell about it.

16. ... Qb1+


The queen is protected by the light squared bishop which he didn't retake after I took his. Now his King has to flee into a discovered check.

17.Kd2 Bc2+
A discovered check with 3 pieces hitting his poor helpless rook (My Queen, Bishop and Rook!)

18.Ke2

After move 18 he saw his position as hopeless. I am going to win the Rook and then recapture his dark squared Bishop. He will be down a Rook, Bishop and several pawns when I am done.

No comments: